Friday, September 25, 2009

The Black And White Blog. Contemporary Art In Helsinki And Chocolate Truffles


The year is moving into the black and white season with dark nights, snow and black and white tree trunks against the winter landscape. I have always loved black & white photography and am a great admirer of Ansel Adams’ photography. I think it accentuates textures and we view it completely differently from colour.

In the old days, we always had a special camera kept aside with black and white film. Since we went digital it is a bit different and a lot of fun converting colour pictures to black and white.


Playing around with black and white images led me to think of all the other important, basic and luxurious things we specifically love in black and white, such as leather, lace, velvet, brides dresses, snow, dark chocolate, satin, the game of chess, op-art, etc. So I started looking around for black and white images in everyday life that either need no or only a very subtle conversion.

The most obvious are roads and signs

Less obvious is the Helsinki Contemporary Art Museum Kiasma. The museum always features interesting exhibitions and I have never been disappointed by any of my visits there. Not only an interesting building in terms of architecture, the whole inside of the building is decorated in black and white.

And, during August, an exhibition called Horror Vacui featered this Sculpture by artist Kimmo Schroderus It was just perfect for inclusion in my blog. Don't miss out on a visit to this art museum if you are in town.



Last came the thoughts of black and white foods. Think of marbled black and white cheesecakes. Then chocolate truffles came to mind.

My truffle recipe is a very quick and easy one, given to me by my younger sister and close friend, Vicki, who lives in Western Australia. I called it Truffles a la Vicki.


Chocolate Truffles a la Vicki

150g Dark Chocolate (I used Lindt 80% cocoa)
100g Milk Chocolate
90g Sweet Butter
2 Tablespoons Liqueur of your choice
Cocoa Powder

  • Melt the butter and chocolate over hot water or in a double boiler.
  • Add the liqueur, I used mint.
  • Let it cool.
  • When almost set, roll into balls and roll in cocoa powder.
  • I also melted 50g of white chocolate and dipped some of the truffles tops in the white chocolate.
  • Decorate with dark and white chocolate hearts or leaves.



And while I am carrying on about black and white, the landscape is changing colour. And I am flying away to France for a holiday touring the Cote D’ Azur and Provence and a few days in Paris. Salut.


No comments:

Post a Comment